Sunday 26 February 2012

Getting a hamster....What YOU need.


Teddy’s Post!

Hey guys! Teddy here and I just want to say sorry for not blogging a lot.It’s weird… yesterday I blogged on my phone and it didn’t show!I’ll have to fix that…

Have I told you I got a new phone?It’s Samsung Galaxy Ace, and one of the best things is I can blog on the go!But today I’m not here to blog about phones.It’s time to get to business…(lol)

If you are getting a
hammy….

A lot of people walk into a petshop and see a cute pet.They don’t even think about it.Next thing they know they are up at the till saying ‘’Can I have that bunny in the enclosure on the left?’’ or
‘’How much is that hamster?’’. To me, it’s wrong to get a goldfish without thinking it over first.Just because your friend has a hamster doesn’t mean you can get one.Please remember this:
Petshops sell ANIMALS.It’s not a toyshop,It’s a petshop!
So, just cause bunny is cute doesn’t mean you can look after him.

I’m not saying don’t get a pet.I’m saying don’t get a pet unless you are ready for one!I know a person who got a hamster just because he liked them.The day I heard I knew it would never last.And I was right.The poor hamster isn’t dead but it might as well be as it doesn’t get any attention!The cage hasen’t been cleaned in months!He never has clean water!And its not this neighbour is busy.Hes just lazy.He spends his  whole time inside in his room on the computer.See what I mean?

But anywho,it’s not a rant about lazy neighbourS.It’s about theresponsibility of owning a pet..Quiz yourself : (this is about hamsters)

·       Will you have time to play with it?
Give it hugs and hold it and give it a little time to run around your room or bed?
·       Will you have a chance to clean its cage every week?
Properly cleaned with fresh bedding and food?
·       Will you give it fresh water once a day?
Especially on hot days when you should give it fresh water twice?
·       Will you be able to refill its foodbowl every time its empty?
There is no excuse,it needs food.
·       Will you provide toys,treats and chews?
Mineral blocks,wood blocks or sticks and fresh fruit/veg every few days?
·       Will you let it chew the bars of the cage?
It may be annoying but its good for their teeth unless they bite too hard.
·       Will you put it in the ball every few days?
So it can get used to your home?
·       Do you have someone to look after it when you go away?
To feed it and clean its cage?
·        Can you make space for its cage in a shaded warm place?
Not too hot, not too cold,no uncovered draughts and not too much light?
·       Will you promise to love it?
And never get bored of it?
·       Can you afford to bring it to the vet?
One of the most essential things is access to a vet.
If you could answer ‘yes’ to every one of them,you are ready for a hamster.If you answered ‘no’ to all of them you are not ready for a hamster.If you answered half of them or more with ‘yes’ you need to think about it longer,or maybe look at another pet.If you answered less than half with ‘yes’ you need to rethink the whole thing.
Its just so sad how many pets are unloved.Thats why you need to think it over so your pet will live a long,happy life.

So anywho,Thanks for reading!I just did that because It really annoys me when animals are neglected.Its cruelty to animals!Look up the ispca/rspca/aspca,ect and you will see how many neglected pets there is.Its just so sad!So promise you will never neglect your pets basic needs.(Confession:I was so busy I couldn’t make time to clean Teddy’s cage!So when it was 3 days overdue I cleaned it and it was horrible!The smell!And this is just after 3 days!So never do that,k?)
So sorry if you found that long post boring.I lost heart of the A-Z thing but I might start it again soon.My next posts will be Q &A and  then,Animal rights L But its important,so it gotta be done!Oh well,over the next few weeks I will start posting new pics of Teddy,doing funny hammy pics and maybe a competition!
So,thanks again for reading and I gotta go to read the Hunger Games!Cya,
TeddyJ!






No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear what you have to say!